23 September 2012

Dumb phone vs Smart phone

Nowadays everyone is talking about iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, Samsung Nexus, Samsung S3, Samsung Note, Nokia Lumia, Sony Ericsson Experia blah blah blah...

The connection? Smart phone. Amazing hearing about what one can do with a smart phone nowadays. Camera, reminder, calendar, games, e-book, email, GPS, on-the-go connectivity with social media, free calls and messaging via Whatsapp and Viber and numerous other applications. You name it, you got it.

While everyone is owning at least a touch screen phone, I am still owning a dumb phone, not even the touch screen type. Being the stingy me who is not willing to follow the latest trend, I don't really find much use in purposely buying a smart phone. I won't mind if someone sponsors me though. Let me outline the few reasons I am still staying loyal to my dumb phone.

First, I don't take good care of my hand phones, always accidentally dropping them onto the floor. Imagine how scratchy my smart phone screen will be then.

Second, for someone with poor discipline like me, on-the-go connectivity will be more of a distraction to me. I wouldn't want to spend my time 24/7 just around my hand phone. I came across a sharing which says something like 'those with clean house must be those without Internet connectivity'.

Third, though people say that you must keep up-to-date with current happenings and the best way is via FB or on-the-go connectivity via smart phone, I try not to get too attached with too much technologies. I realised that without too much of Internet, there are plenty of things we can achieve, especially reading, house cleaning, more quality bonding with family, etc.

Though I do realise that sooner or later, I can't avoid from getting a smart phone especially now that my dumb phone's battery is starting to show indications of low battery life. Will wait till then, not a priority to me as of now.

No comments: