21 June 2011

#108 - Empty Shell

10.06.2011

Now I have reached the path where I am feeling contented yet there seemed to be an empty shell waiting to be filled up. Hmm, I don’t think this is what I want. Yes, I am being very diligent to read TIME magazine after work but somehow I think I placed my priority in the wrong place. Instead of TIME magazine, I should concentrate on technical reading since that’s the only way I can increase my self-worth to my organization and climb up the career ladder faster.

Action speaks louder than words. I still can’t make myself to do technical reading. Humans will always spin out thousands of excuses when they don’t feel like doing it. I am a good example. Sigh! Couldn’t help it. When I subscribed I didn’t really notice that it’s a weekly subscription for TIME magazine. Hence, I have quite a backlog of TIME magazine to catch up with and it is really worth the time reading. I learned more about international news through TIME.

If only I can devote such an enthusiasm to the technical reading which is eagerly waiting for me. Perhaps one of the reason would be that I didn’t pay for the technical books. Lame! Speaking of which, I no longer visit bookstore as frequent as previous time. One, I seldom went for shopping with my friends (hence, less visit to bookstores in the mall) and second, I know I can’t resist the temptation to buy fictions. I had more than enough fictions in my cupboard waiting for me to read.

Recently, I read about peak performance fitness program. It is something like a repetition of fast and slow intensity for whatever exercise program u have. E.g. start with a 3 min warm up, then do 1 min sprinting, followed by 3 min slow jog. Repeat the sprinting and slow jogging for about 8 times, then warm down for 2 min. For new beginners, it is recommended to do 3 sets of repetition so as not to push urself too much. Sounds easy? It is very tiring! I didn’t try it though. I am more of a slow exercise type of person.

It was said that 20 min of such a program beats a 1 hour jog in terms of calories burnt and the metabolic rate is still high even after 8 hours. The theory behind it was that humans have slow muscle, medium muscle and fast muscle. Perhaps the term I used is wrong, but just assume I am explaining in laymen’s term. We always exercise and trained our low muscle in daily activities and sports, leaving fast muscle under-trained.

In fact it’s the fast muscle which should be trained if we want to burn calories fast. Just imagine this: a marathon runner and a sprinter. U can see that though marathon runner has toned muscles, they can never achieve the body figure as a sprinter. That’s one easy example to describe the difference between working out the fast and slow muscle. Not sure if anyone reading this will understand but I had tried my best to explain.

I don’t think I will try this out but I will surely keep this in mind. As the age gets older, metabolism rate tends to get lower but my appetite tends to grow bigger. Can’t help it, I tend to take huge servings of rice, no matter how I tried to remind myself to reduce my carbohydrate intake. I had this ‘unspoken love’ for rice. One day without rice and I will feel as if I haven’t taken a proper meal. But at least I tried to exercise at least once a week, either jogging, badminton, hiking or cycling.

Perhaps will resume my yoga lesson in Sept. Yoga really makes me sweat and I feel comfortable after sweating out. But…sure whole body will ache cos my body is quite rigid when it comes to bending especially when it involves the lower part of the body. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to waist downwards, perhaps due to my bad posture. Posture is really important and whenever I saw any young kids hunched, I will always correct their posture.

One thing for sure, after babbling for so much, I still couldn’t figure out what’s the empty shell all about. I am flying to Bangkok in July for training and hence I should be busy with all the preparations in June but here I am still figuring out how to fill up the empty shell. Perhaps I am too lacking in technical knowledge, which makes me feel dissatisfied and insecure? Satisfaction is very important to me. Now I must try to find that SATISFACTION which I am guessing is the source of my empty shell…

No comments: