20 April 2012

10 Best Interview Questions To Ask

I have several people around me who were looking into changing new work environment. Some were not satisfied with current remuneration, some disliked the environment. At this present economic status, it is no secret that most companies will only be able to reward their employees at a bare minimum rate. It is a difficult time for everyone, for the staff and the boss. Usually the highest turnover rate will be after the increment or bonus payment, which means either it's end of the year, early of the year or somewhere around March or April.

I have come across an article in Yahoo citing 10 interview questions which might help you to score points with you potential boss and wish to share it here. It was written by Alison Green who writes the Ask A Manager blog, advising on career, job search and management issues. She also authored the book Managing to Change the World: The Nonprofit Leader's Guide to Getting Results. Here are the 10 great questions:


1. What are the biggest challenges the person in this position will face?

2. Can you describe a typical day or week in the position?

3. What would a successful first year in the position look like?

4. How will the success of other person in this position be measured?

5. How long did the previous person in the role hold the position? What has turnover in the role generally been like?

6. How would you describe the culture here? What type of people tend to really thrive, and what type don't do as well?

7. How would you describe your management style?

8. Thinking back to the person who you've seen do this job best, what made their performance so outstanding?

9. Are there any reservations you have about my fit for the position that I could try to address?

10. What is your time line for getting back tot he candidates about the next steps?


No matter what kind of questions you ask, in the end it still goes back to our own self to sell our self out to the interviewer. Show some interest and do some research on company background and products. Show that you are the fit for the job. To me, attitude scores more than academic credentials. Whether you are driven by salary or satisfaction / challenge a job might bring you, it all boils down to one thing, drawing salary from your prospective employer. Unless you want to be self-employed, you will need to learn to work with your boss.

Talking about interview, I haven't attended much interview myself. And I dreaded the moment if I have to go for interviews again some time in the future. But I am sure I can cook something up if there is a need be. As for now, I feel that I still have room for growth for my current work. So I will be lingering for a while longer. 4 years.... time flies just like that and yet I feel that there is so much more for me to learn about my industry. 4 years is just kindergarten level if you ask me...

No comments: