3 June 2016

Job

MY and OWI complained about work. QA line is never easy. Coordinating job is never easy. Cross checking job is never easy. Policing is never easy. That's why we love and hate policemen so much. We know that they are doing their job but when we got caught for some minor traffic offence, for example, we cursed them. I guess it is the same thing with QA.
 
We know QA is only doing its job, but when we got "interrogated" or "harrassed" incessantly due to internal or external pressure, we hate that feeling of being put under surveillance, of being monitored and checked against every now and then. But that's exactly what a QA should be. Well, there is no right or wrong, I must say. Only what suits the culture the best can be said as right. Needs team work for this.
 
One needs to think from the other party's perspective. One need to talk to the other party to manage expectations and align on the next step. One need to come to an agreement with the other party on what could be the possible solution. One need to be lucky enough to work with one who could understand all these. We are, after all just human being, with emotions, with limitations, and with the need to be motivated.
 
This is one reason why I was contemplating whether or not to go back to manufacturing world. I am from QA background. Human management is my most feared subject. I don't want to turn into Godzilla again. I used to, in my first job. In current company, feedbacks from just one stake holder is sufficient to freeze me in my breath, let alone working with many departments in manufacturing world. To be fair, the type of people will be different. Professional (and hence, more hurtful) vs emotional (blood boiling).
 
When you work with professionals, the words can slice your heart into thousands of pieces. You felt as if you won't be able to piece them together anymore. The impact lasted quite long. When you work with manufacturing colleagues, you felt like 10 volcanoes could erupt in a day and yet the impact is more short-lived. At least I believed so. Depends  on personality also, I believe.
 
One need to learn to let go. Not to dwell in the past. To take the good learnings from whatever words uttered out, either sincerely or with a pinch of salt. Forgive yet not forget. Learn from experience what is the expectation and what is the limitation. What can and what can't be done. Be assertive. Say yes when you are sure and no when you are sure. Anything in between puts you as a weak person. My recent learning.

You can't fight every battle so choose your battle wisely. Timing is an essence. No point getting frustrated over things beyond your control. Just tuck it behind your mind and bring it out when the time is right. And the rest will be history. No need for perfection. Important is you learn from each incident. This is what I dub as continuous improvement. 
 
Really worry about job hunting. Not having the  confidence to re-step into manufacturing. Yet that seemed to be the only option I have for now. Why not stop limiting myself and try out whatever is out there? Again? I just want to settle down. That's my thought for now. Manufacturing line with 9-5 job is not a bad idea. But I am unsure of how well can I handle harsh exchange of words without affecting myself too much, without bothering about what others might say too much.
 
Don't think. Just do. You will know what to  do when the time comes. Worrying too much zap away  your energy. Jia you!

No comments: