2 June 2016

Why Do I Join The Food Technology Community?

Last post was in Jan. This looks like quarterly post now, huh? Been wanting to revisit my blog but what triggers me to do so today was due to a flashback of my interview session with the lecturer for my English course in USM. It was a simple ice breaker question but one that I will and I hope to remember for years to come.

Lecturer: So why do you choose Food Technology?
Me: I am interested to learn what Food Technology can bring to the world, in terms of food preservation and technologies available to help to feed the world.

The answer came impromptu just like that. Something that I "goreng" on the spot and hence can remember because I put some thought into it. I chose Food Technology during university entry application due to a senior giving a talk about Food Technology course he had chosen as an undergraduate. We were Form 6 students at that time, I think. 

I slept off after typing the above paragraph and woke up super early, like 4.30am. Is this called insomnia? Or maybe due to me sleeping with lights on. I have been having this quite frequently recently. When I woke up, I was thinking... but it was also due to advances in food technology, microbiology and biotechnology that we get more and more detection of food fraud, waste of food etc.

When food is made to last longer, people tend to hoard foods and just throw them away when they are no longer good to eat. Especially with our modern lifestyle where one barely get the time to cook on weekdays! 

Getting back to the reason why I am interested with Food Technology... now I am revisiting where I am, now that I have worked for  8 years. Time flies, huh? Now, I tend to get demotivated pretty fast and tend to give up finding solution fast as well and jump into conclusion pretty fast as well. First two jobs as QA for 6 years and 3rd job as Technical Service for 1.5 years. 

Looking at the statistics, it is pretty clear to say that I definitely need more honing as TS person as different skill set is needed. I took up TS job because I am greedy for exposure and want to explore the vulnerable side of me. The side of me who never felt comfortable in business setting, lack of commercial mindset etc. I think I know where I am now. I have no interest for deep understanding of food ingredient knowledge unless have to, something not a TS should be doing.

When my application to be home based wasn't approved, I was sort of relieved as I will need to leave the company somehow. Sort of not having to dilly dally between resigning or not. That decision was made in April and now it is June. After browsing through Jobstreet and Linkedin job randomly, I finally mustered the courage to click on 3 jobs. All are not food industry related and required knowledge in ISO standards which I am not familiar with. At least something to kick start with, right?

It isn't easy to change job so often, something I would never have thought of doing. There was one time when a hiking friend shook my hand and was reading my palm. She told me that I am a capable person and will work for many companies. Judging my situation now, it seemed so. 3 jobs within 8 years or working, averaging almost 3 years per job. The current situation of neither too junior nor too senior doesn't make my transition back to Penang any more easier. With the lack of sizeable food industries in Penang, I am left without much choice if I don't wish to down grade too much from KL salary.

It is all in mindset I guess. If you think you can, you can. As for interviewing, I must remind myself to introduce my self-worth and don't think of it as I am begging for the job. It is a win-win situation for both. You need employee and I need a job. It should be treated as an agreement between both parties to work together. That should be it. We all should change our mindset. With each job, I am gaining different experience, in terms of work management, human management etc. Not rosy at all times but definitely a must pass through part of my life.

Wish me luck in job hunting. I better start to contact the head hunters and my ex-employer. Who knows if I will have some luck. And work on my ex-colleague suggestion to send in resume to the company I am interested to work in, rather than waiting for any posting on job vacancy.

Jia you, Pheo. Your mindset needs quite some tuning to do!

No comments: